Start of Content
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander education
Independent Schools Queensland (ISQ) respectfully acknowledges past and present traditional owners. ISQ also acknowledges the contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians and non-Indigenous Australians to the education of all children and people in this country that we all live in and share together.
Diversity is one of the key strengths of Queensland’s independent schooling sector. Learn more about how Queensland’s independent schools are implementing a range of strategies to improve educational outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and to foster greater understanding and respect for Indigenous peoples and cultures.
ISQ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education brochure
ISQ provides targeted Indigenous education support to member schools through the Federal Government’s Reform Support Fund. This support focuses on:
- student learning
- incorporating Indigenous perspectives into education programs
- school leadership and whole-school planning
- school improvement
- developing Indigenous teacher aides, teachers and emerging leaders
- cultural awareness
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
- Vocational Education and Training (VET)
- professional learning events and online resources.