Start of Content
Briefings is an Independent Schools Queensland (ISQ) publication providing thought leadership for the independent schooling sector.
Each edition of Briefings includes an opinion article from the Executive Director and a research feature from a senior ISQ staff member.
Volume 24, 2020
- Issue 7 - September The significance of the Senior Assessment and Tertiary Entrance reforms / The ‘Hero’s Journey’ literary device to analyse principals and boards leadership roles in the context of strategic planning.
- Issue 6 - August More private investment in education should be encouraged / Optimising the learning environment for better student outcomes
- Issue 5 - July 2020 Queensland Election / Sustainable improvement means choosing coherence
- Issue 4 - June Independent schools' significant contribution to the Queensland economy / Research to help schools' strategic planning for extreme events, such as COVID-19
- Issue 3 - May Reasons for optimism / Monitoring and managing cyberincivility
- Issue 2 - April The Direct Measure of Income presents another challenge for many independent schools / Good people are great professional development
- Issue 1 - February The Queensland independent sector is becoming more diverse / Challenges and opportunities of Artificial (AI) Intelligence in schools
Volume 23, 2019
- Issue 10 - November The urgent need for school infrastructure in the independent sector / Emotional leadership
- Issue 9 - October Challenges for the independent schools sector / Music lifts learning outcomes - is it time for an integrated approach?
- Issue 8 - September More funding changes to come / School leadership and IT reform - leading innovation, ideation and people
- Issue 7 - August Increasing enrolments and diversity in the sector / How well is your school performing and how do you know?
- Issue 6 - July A new declaration on schooling? / Could design thinking solve the 'wicked problem' of school education?
- Issue 5 - June The Coalition's plans for schooling / The greater impact of collective teacher efficacy on students and school culture
- Issue 4 - May Economic conditions and independent schools / Are learning progressions the panacea the Australian schooling sector needs?
- Issue 3 - April State/Territory Contributions to Public Funding for Schools / Advancing Advancement in Independent Schools
- Issue 2 - March A Time to Focus on our Regions / Adding Value in Independent Schools: Making a Difference in Reading
- Issue 1 - January/February Independent schools meeting the needs of parents / Evidence of the benefits of an early childhood education
Volume 22, 2018
- Issue 10 - November Schools need to address the risks in budgeting for volatility in Gonski 2.0 / Great teachers and great teaching, where to from here?
- Issue 9 - October The New Parental Tax Income (PTI) Measure / Could parent power raise Australia's educational performance?
- Issue 8 - September Our Highly Accomplished and Lead Teachers / Decision-making and educational leadership
- Issue 7 - August Is sector-blind schools funding achievable? / Has the hype around growth mindset outpaced the evidence?
- Issue 6 - July Celebrating 50 Years / Can Independent Schools Benefit from Greater Collaboration Between Schools?
- Issue 5 - June Economic Factors Influencing the Health of the Independent Schools Sector / Accommodating the Learning Limit of Students
- Issue 4 - May Key Reviews to Drive Future School Innovation and Improvement / Busting the Neuromyths in Teaching
- Issue 3 - April Schools Funding: Divisive Media Coverage and Uncertainty / High Gain and High Achieving Schools
- Issue 2 - March Independent Schools are More Accountable Than Ever / The Fuss About Needs-Based School Funding
- Issue 1 - January/February Commentary on Schooling on the Wrong Track / Comparative Judgement: An Option for Reducing Marking Loads
Volume 21, 2017
- Issue 10 - November/December Families From all Income Levels Choose Independent Schools / School Leadership and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education
- Issue 9 - October Addressing School Infrastructure Needs / Using Video for Coaching and Branding
- Issue 8 - September School Culture, Success and Sustainability / Wellbeing and Educational Leadership
- Issue 7 - August Non-State Schools Accreditation - A New Act for Queensland / Social Media Integration into School Emergency Managment Planning
- Issue 6 - July Commonwealth's Role in Schools Continues to Strengthen / It's Time to be Critical about Teaching Critical Thinking
- Issue 5 - June Continuing the Reform Agenda / The trouble with Professional Learning Communities: Avoiding Roadblocks in Teacher Collaboration
- Issue 4 - May Schools Funding - Politics vs Policy
- Issue 3 - April Supporting Students with Disability / Why and How Schools Need to Act on Parental Choice Research
- Issue 2 - March National Education Reforms / When Best Laid Plans Go Awry, Change Fatigue: Symptoms and Solutions
- Issue 1 - January/February The facts on school fees / Evaluation and Education: Measuring what Matters
Volume 20, 2016
- Issue 10 -November/December Reflections on 2016: Challenges and Optimism for 2017 / A review of frameworks for technology integration and their impact on teaching and learning
- Issue 9 - October Schools Funding Debate: Careful Language Required / Leading Thinking to Manage Change
- Issue 8 - September It’s a Small World / A review of global policy and educational trends for technology integration in classrooms
- Issue 7 - August A New Federal Schools Funding Model - Challenges and Opportunites for the Coalition / Evidence and Quality Teaching
- Issue 6 - July The Prep Half Cohort – Getting Closer to Graduating / Teachers Leading Research in Best Practice Pedagogy
- Issue 5 - June Hopefully, a Final Word on "Gonski" / Building Leadership Culture in Schools
- Issue 4 - May The 2016/17 Federal Budget / Online Assessment and its Potential Impact on Student Results
- Issue 3 - April Taking the Good School Governance Pledge / Leading Innovation and Change
- Issue 2 - March Economic Significance of Independent Schools to the Queensland Economy / Coaching as an implementation process for school improvement agendas
- Issue 1 - January/February It's an Election Year / Performance and development for school improvement
Latest News & Events
ISQ Briefings, September 2020
The significance of the Senior Assessment and Tertiary Entrance reforms, which will see Queensland Year 12 students sit external assessment in October; The ‘Hero’s Journey’ literary device used to analyse leadership and strategic planning.